
Relay for Life was... Eventful. Fun, too, yeah, but...
I'll give you a basic timeline of the night, from what I remember, because I actually fell asleep around four AM ish.
5:30PM
We got to the relay and sat around for a while, then some friends and I set up the tent.
6:00PM
Everything was moved inside, only a few people had shown up. The majority was missing.
6:30PM
Everyone had arrived that was coming before 8:30PM and we were moving towards the centre of the site for the opening ceremony when a friend of ours showed up. He was bringing something for his sister, who took a very large part in organising the event, apparently. He also brought with him that one person I was dreading seeing, thanks...
7:00PM
First lap is complete, two friends are walking around the track, the rest of us are in and around the tent snacking on the fruits and sandwich meats brought by our lovely captain, also known as my best friend.
8:30PM
After going to the mess tent and making my boyfriend eat something, the two of us have taken over walking around the track. We talked about some of the silliest things, saw some other friends on other teams, and I was startled nearly to death.
9:20PM
We were kicked off the track about here, so... We went to the tent, but it was too hot in there.
9:30PM
Marisa and I went to the bathrooms, and watched some of the singing competition, while the rest of the team (- two walkers and two people who were chatting with others) set up a fake volleyball sort of pass thing with a beachball. It was very difficult to hit in the right direction.
9:32PM
I love watching other girls flirt with my boyfriend, don't you?
9:35PM
I now feel completely and utterly useless, patronised, and mentally challenged. Thanks, guys.
9:45PM
The volleyball is continuing but it's getting a little chilly now. The sun is getting to that point where it's below almost all of the tents.
10:00PM?
They begin the Remembrance Ceremony, the group gathers in a little pocket in a vast sea of lawn chairs.
10:30PM
The ceremony is done but people are crying and the luminaries around the track are lit. It's beautifully eerie, I sort of wanted to walk around a bit again and look at them all. We didn't, instead we watching Shawni(sister of one of our teammates and friends :) )and Theo Tams play. We then watched the top five of the competition I mentioned earlier, the one person I knew (but I don't like...) didn't make the top five. To be honest, I wasn't exactly sad.
11:00PM
My boyfriend is sitting there shivering so I went to go get his sweater for the tent, looked for twenty minutes, then he comes to the tent wearing it! Of course I couldn't figure out how or where/when he got it, but, you know.
11:30PM
Watched more of Theo Tams, he is truly talented, I love his voice. I got a lot of thinking time while listening to his sad love songs.
12:00AM
Boyfriend and I went back to the tent, we were so cold. SO COLD. I swear it was maybe one or two degrees celsius. We were laying under some blankets, all of our friends kept doing "handchecks" and things like that. They seem to forget how chaste I am!
12:30AM
Decently sure that at some time here we left the tent for a little bit, walked around, got tea, socialised. When I say we, I mean my boyfriend and I, we didn't really split up much. The floodlights they had set up were literally blinding, they were so bright.
1:00AM
Went back to the tent, my feet were FREEZING. We laid down and were chillin' for a little bit, talking and listening to everyone else talk.
1:30AM
Everyone in the tent is asleep but me by now, because about two minutes ago I had the worst dream of my life and feel like bawling. I tried to leave the tent but couldn't, I really wish I had.
2:00AM
Doing absolutely nothing, staring at the ceiling and sometimes rolling over to cuddle into his chest because he's super warm, I'm cold, and I'm terrified that my dream is going to come true. Maybe I was hoping I could protect him from my dream, I wish you could kiss dreams better.
2:30AM
I was supposed to wake everyone up at this point, apparently, so I went about trying to do so by laying on top of them and whining until I received a response. Only three out of six people woke up. My harassment failed, and one of our other team mates came into the tent, sore from dancing his heart out and a little grumpy at the mess our tent-mates had made. He talked with people in the tent for I don't know how long.
3:00AM
I assume this is when I started dozing in and out because my boyfriend was rubbing my back which knocks me unconscious almost immediately. Our teammate who Shawni was their sister left with her, it was late and he was tired.
4:00AM
Apparently they were playing "Name that tune" over at the DJ booth, and I was participating in my sleep. I supposedly named almost all the tunes.
4:30AM
Unconscious. No clue what went down.
5:30AM
Rudely awakened by my dearest best friend, supposedly breakfast is on it's way and we have to get up and start cleaning the tent. Everyone except seven of us is grumpy and miserable and cold and all pissy at the seven of us because apparently ONE person came into the tent, ONE, and decided that there was no room in the two meters between one person and myself, and no blankets in the pile of about six in the corner since we were hogging them all. I had ONE blanket for my boyfriend and I, and the two to my left when I was lying on my back had one between the two of them. If anyone was hoarding blankets, it was the three to my boyfriend's left. So we grudgingly got up, I had a cup of hot chocolate. My friends beaked about the sleeping thing, then proclaimed that the people who slept had to clean the tent. They really said "YOU have to clean the tent" and, so, I then went back to the tent and cleared everything out. Team Captain came over and said boyfriend and I were done, so we basically stood around while other people cleaned up. Found out that one friend and her boyfriend had slept behind our tent on a sleeping bag with a sleeping bag and a blanket on top. They were crazy.
6:00AM
Almost everything is packed, now two or three people are under behind-the-back fire for being slobs and useless, considering they came to the relay and didn't walk one lap. They didn't bring their own stuff, used other people, coughed on it, and were generally disgusting. So we kind of flamed them. It was deserved.
6:20AM
Everything is packed, everyone is grumpy, most of our team has left. We pack everything remaining into the one car that six of us are leaving in, including the driver, and we set off to get home.
6:30AM
I'm first one dropped off because I'm right there, my house is closest. I thank everyone, tell them I love them, and they leave.
7:00AM
Final Lap-- No one from 4AM is in attendance. They're all fast asleep at home :)
So, over all, I had a fantastic night, though there were a few dull spots on the shine of the whole thing. Next year, I think we need to restrict who is on our team a little better. I had a lot of fun, though, and I am excited for today. :)
Thanks for reading :)
Desiree~
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment